Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting what you wish for

I'm trying to get ready for my MFA residency and I'm so...not. But it's kind of a good thing.

This past semester I felt like something was just off about my creative thesis (which is supposed to be a novel manuscript) it and I was beginning to worry I’d have to scrap the whole idea.

My wonderful advisor reassured me that frustration sometimes comes before a breakthrough. He was right.

It turns out my main character isn’t who I thought she was.

Turns out, then, that everyone and everything around her has changed, too. So there's a little bit of work ahead.

The characters had been living and breathing for me, but weakly, like they were on life support. Now they’re running around and jumping up and down and driving me crazy.

Help.

No comments: