Thursday, July 24, 2008

When the universe says "go"

Quitting my job and jumping into relative uncertainty has given me a few moments of panic (such as now, when I should be packing and am nowhere near finished), but the decision feels right, and odd coincidences and signs during the past few weeks seem to have all pointed toward home.

Which makes me wonder: Are such signs always present, and do we see them only when we're ready to? Are they signs at all, or affirmations we create in our minds to justify our decisions? Or is it just that when we're being true to ourselves, things seem easier?

What about the bubble wrap?

Talk about getting weirded out. I was thinking how it would be nice to have a roll of bubble wrap for my fragile tea cups, and there it was, sitting next to the dumpster. Brand new, sealed, $20 box of bubble wrap.

I examined it skeptically. What was wrong with it? Did someone pee on it? I carried it back to my apartment and set it on the kitchen floor. Where it sat for a couple of days, untouched. Too strange. I circled it like the monkeys surrounding the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey." Bubble wrap from beyond.

In any case, I think I should keep packing.

2 comments:

cdillon said...

I have found that "the Universe" or whatever energy it may be is very, very generous and always in this suprising ask-and-you-shall-receive way.
I've learned to be open to it and know that what I really need will come just in the nick of time.
I will miss you.

Purple Houses said...

I will miss you, too!