Friday, January 23, 2009

Backbone

It’s a little unnerving to find a spine in the snow.

Especially when it’s surrounded by a frayed garbage bag.

A closer look (which took a bit of nerve) revealed a hoof belonging to a whitetail deer. So not a serial killer, then.

Probably.

Like I said before, Wisconsin seems to have more than its fair share. Maybe a few in the making.

A couple of weeks ago some guys on snowmobiles spent an evening running down five deer. Injured them, tied them up and dragged them, killed them. Left one tied to a tree and the cops found it the next morning and put it down.

Someone else must have decided that sounded like fun. Got on a snowmobile, ran over fifty ducks.

A few years ago I came across a pile of small skeletons near where I found the deer spine. A dozen or so raccoons, maybe. Cats.

Makes me wonder if the deer skeleton I found was a case of poaching ... or practicing.

No comments: