Sunday, February 21, 2010

Battle gear

When I finished the bulk of my MFA work in November, a moment of relief and accomplishment quickly waned into the feeling that the training montage was over and oh, crap! Now I have to go fight the dragon. (Aka the publishing industry.)

So I've started the search for a literary agent. And I think it's going to take a while before I even get to the damned dragon.

Most of the submission guidelines sound like this:

"Dear 'Writer,'

If you MUST send us a query -- and we would rethink this if we were you -- we'll try to get back to you within six weeks, maybe, if we feel like it. We receive lots and lots of mail from everyone and their hamster, and considering how many hamsters think they can write books, that's a lot of mail. (Long, protracted, world-weary sigh....) But, if you have to. Whatever. We know you've worked hard on your manuscript (tee-hee-hee).

Sincerely, Not The Agent For You."

I was hoping for some kind of VIP room or something.

(Long, protracted, world-weary sigh...)

3 comments:

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

my hamsters... the ones running in the cage in my head... cant even complete a thought, let alone write books.
Goo luck on your quest. May you vanquish the dragon

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

I have complete faith in you and your abilities.

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.