Friday, November 2, 2012

Beginnings, Nano Day 2

Yesterday morning and evening I spent editing the opening of my novel -- one that I had worked on quite a bit and was kind of married to, then decided it really didn't reflect my character's voice throughout the rest of the story. I worried about letting go of certain aspects that I really liked, only to find that it worked much better without them, and it works to incorporate the information into the story later on. The beginning is the most difficult (for me, at least) because it must strike that delicate balance of giving the reader enough information to be interested and not bombarding the reader with too many facts. It's the most important part in terms of engaging a reader. Doesn't matter if the rest of the book is stellar; no one's going to know it if they can't get into the book.

Couldn't sleep this morning -- yay! More writing time! Massaged the first chapter some more.

Since I'm doing a pseudo-nano (editing a near-complete novel instead of starting a new novel from scratch) I anticipate my word count will decline or remain about the same throughout the month. Today my word count is 76,361.

1 comment:

Colleen Sutherland, storyteller said...

One way to allow yourself to cut that good writing is to put it aside to use somewhere else. Don't throw it away!